Skip to main content
Dependents of F-1 visa holders are issued F-2 visas. They may engage in "studies to pursue a hobby or in occasional, casual, or recreational studies; i.e. ceramics class, swimming lessons, etc. Any course related to languages, or technical/vocational skills is not considered an occasional, casual or recreational study. Dependents are not authorized to work at any time, under any circumstance.
F-2 visa holders can travel without the primary F-1 visa holder provided they present a current and endorsed Form I-20, a current passport, visa and I-94.
Underage dependents, i.e. elementary, middle school, and high school age dependents can be enrolled in a full-time course of study at an approved educational institution.