Marriage and Financial Aid

Marriage and Financial Aid

Anticipating marriage during the school year?

If your marital status changes before the last day of Winter semester, you can change your status. Please speak with the financial aid office before changing your marital status if you have already submitted your FAFSA for the current academic year.

If you anticipate marriage between now and the end of the coming school year, consider the following points before submitting your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):

  • Updating your marital status doesn’t guarantee eligibility for a Pell Grant or Subsidized Stafford Loan. This is determined by how much financial need the FAFSA says you have.

  • If you are independent according to the FAFSA definition, you won’t report parental income on the FAFSA. This may make you more likely to qualify for grants and subsidized loans depending on the information you include for yourself and your spouse in the FAFSA. (To determine your FAFSA dependency status, go to, login, and select "Determine Your Dependency Status".)

  • If you are dependent and will become independent after marriage in the coming school year, we recommend that you carefully consider whether you should wait to file your FAFSA until after you are married.


Updating Your Marital Status

You will need to go through the verification process to update your marital status. Please contact the financial aid office to begin the process of updating your marital status.

Have additional questions about marriage and financial aid?

The Financial Aid office is here to help! Contact us at (801) 524-8111 with any further questions.